Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships
The Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund, founded in 1940, is The Ninety-Nines’ premier scholarship program for deserving 99s members to complete advanced training and education in aviation and aerospace.
Each year, The Ninety-Nines award several scholarships to help women pilots complete pilot certificates ranging from Commercial to CFI and ATP; ratings such as instrument, multi-engine, and jet type ratings; technical training such as A & P certificate; and college education for degrees in aviation, including Bachelors, Masters, and PhDs. Among other eligibility requirements, the applicant must be a member of The Ninety-Nines. It is recommended that applicants begin the process around November 1 since the deadline for receipt by the local AE Scholarship chairperson is December 1.
Applicants should refer to information and application forms on the 99s International Web site and contact their Chapter AE Scholarship Chairmen. The San Luis Obispo AE Scholarship Chairman is Liz Ruth and she can be reached at SLO99Scholarships@gmail.com.
San Luis Obispo Ninety-Nines
Aviation Scholarship Application
Next Application Deadline: September 1, 2020
The San Luis Obispo Co. Chapter of the Ninety-Nines, International Organization of Women Pilots, is awarding scholarships to San Luis Obispo County women interested in becoming pilots. The purpose of this scholarship is to assist with obtaining a Sport Pilot, Recreation Pilot, Private Pilot, or other advanced certificate or rating.
A scholarship in the amount of $3,000 will be awarded in September 2020. The application due date is September 1, 2020.
- *Applicant must be a woman at least 17 years of age.
- *Applicant must be a resident of San Luis Obispo County or a member of the San Luis Obispo 99s.
- *Applicant must have accumulated at least 10 hours toward the certificate or rating for which she is training, of which a minimum of 3 hours must have been logged within the last 3 months.
- *Applicant must hold a current medical certificate as appropriate to the rating or certificate for which she is training.
The application must be completed in full and can be accessed here Application and submitted along with:
- *An essay as specified on the application form.
- *Copy or scan of logbook pages verifying flying activity for last three months.
- *A letter of recommendation from an instructor.
You may enter the information of the fillable application electronically by using Adobe Acrobat or other compatible software. Alternatively, you can print out the application form and and complete it manually, then scan it back to your computer or submit in paper form.
Electronic submissions are preferred. Please create a single file with the completed application form and supporting documents. Name the file LastnameScholarshipSept2020 and email to the Scholarship Chair at SLO99Scholarships@gmail.com.
For paper submissions, please print application form and send along with supporting documents to San Luis Obispo Co. 99s, Aviation Scholarship, PO Box 5214, San Luis Obispo, CA 93403.
Application package must be received by midnight on the due date to be considered.
The Scholarship Chair will confirm receipt of your application as soon as it is received and verify eligibility. Please follow up via email if you do not receive confirmation.
A selection committee made up of three members of the San Luis Obispo County Ninety-Nines and one outside judge will review the scholarship applications. Judging criteria will include:
- *Aviation activities as described by the applicant and by the recommendation.
- *Commitment to the local aviation community as described by the applicant.
- *Ability to meet planned goals, as shown by the recommendation and past flying activity.
All candidates will be notified about the status of the award within 10 days of the application due date.
Funds awarded are to be used within six months and will be paid directly to the flight school.
For questions or further information, please contact the Scholarship Chair, Liz Ruth, at SLO99Scholarships@gmail.com.